Text/HTML

WHO WE ARE

Provide a regional distribution warehouse and branches that supply food and grocery items to charitable agencies that assist people in need.  Provide training, consultation, technical assistance, and hunger education to our partner agencies.

  • View our current Form 990 statement provided by GuideStar.com.
    (Enter "Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina" in the search field)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

COUNTIES SERVED

Serve 14 counties in North Carolina including Anson, Burke, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Rowan, Rutherford, Stanly and Union. Serve 5 counties in South Carolina including Lancaster, York, Spartanburg, Union and Cherokee.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

AGENCIES SERVED

SHFBM provides food for almost 600 partner agencies including soup kitchens like Urban Ministries, emergency pantries like Loaves and Fishes, residential care facilities like Florence Crittendon, homeless shelters like the Uptown Men’s Shelter, senior programs like Friendship Trays, and low income daycares like Wall’s Memorial A.M.E. Zion.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

AMOUNT OF FOOD DISTRIBUTED

In fiscal year 2012-2013, SHFBM distributed over 40 million pounds of food and other essential grocery products throughout our 19 county service region.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HOW WE ARE FUNDED

90% of our income comes from fundraising including special events, grants, corporate donations, direct mail campaigns and other sources. The remaining 10% comes from small handling fees that are paid by our partner agencies on about one quarter of the food that we provide for them. These fees are designed to help us recover the costs of transporting, warehousing, processing and distributing food. The low-income recipients of the food never pay a fee.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE NEED

18% of our service area population lives in poverty including over 170,000 children and almost 40,000 seniors.  Requests for help are increasing.  Requests at our emergency pantries remain high.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WHERE OUR FOOD COMES FROM

Approximately 80% of the food we distribute is donated, approximately 15% of the food comes from government commodities, and approximately 5% of our food is purchased. The remainder comes from food drives and purchased food.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HOW WE DISTRIBUTE THE FOOD

Through our main warehouse in Charlotte and through branches in Dallas (Gaston County), Mt. Gilead (Montgomery County) and Hickory (Catawba County). and Spartanburg (Spartanburg County).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HOW INDIVIDUALS CAN HELP

Give a financial donation. This is the best way to help because every $1.00 contributed provides 7 pounds of food. Donate food or host a food drive, every pound supplied is the equivalent of 1.25 meals for a hungry neighbor.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HOW BUSINESSES CAN HELP

Give a financial donation. Remember every $1.00 contributed provides 7 pounds of food.  Encourage employees to collect funds for the Food Bank or to designate United Way donations to the Food Bank.  Hold a food drive at your business.  Designate matching contributions for funds employees raise.  Send an employee group to volunteer. Schedule a time for a representative from the Food Bank to speak to your employees.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

HOW CHURCHES CAN HELP

Include Second Harvest in your annual operating budget or make a one-time donation to Second Harvest.  Your gift to Second Harvest supports approximately 250 agencies in Mecklenburg County alone.  Host a food drive on an ongoing or one time basis.  Volunteer as a group.  Include information on Second Harvest in your church bulletins or publications.